HUD Houses for Rent

There is a one-time registration fee of $15.00. Continuing to the order form means that you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service.

Is there such a thing as HUD houses for rent?

HUD is the Department of Housing and Urban Development. It’s is a U.S. government agency that was created in 1965 to support community development and home ownership. HUD does this by improving affordable home ownership opportunities, increasing safe and affordable rental options, reducing chronic homelessness, fighting housing discrimination by ensuring equal opportunity in the rental and purchase markets, and supporting vulnerable populations.

HUD housing is a term people use that really referrs to some form of government rental assistance. Programs like Section 8 housing for example, helps tenants to find find decent and safe housing while paying about 30% of their monthly income towards rent. The application process for applying for any government subsidized housing program is completely free.

HUD homes are typically for sale so it would be rare to find HUD houses for rent. HUD takes on the responsibility of creating a strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all. HUD is working to strengthen the housing market to bolster the economy and protect consumers; meet the need for quality affordable rental homes; utilize housing as a platform for improving quality of life; build inclusive and sustainable communities free from discrimination; and transform the way HUD does business.

          What are Section 8 Apartments?

          The Section 8 program allows private landlords to rent apartments and homes at fair market rates to qualified low income tenants, with a rental subsidy administered by local PHA’s. HUD actually funds the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program, but housing authorities run the program locally. Each state may have between 20 to 30 housing authorities representing various cities and municipalities.

          A landlord that has apartments for rent that are can accommodate a Section 8 tenant, whether it’s an apartment complex or a house, can be construed as Section 8 apartments.

          The Section 8 Project-Based Rental Assistance (PBRA) programs enable more than 2 million people in 1.2 million low-income households to afford modest apartments by contracting with private owners to rent some or all of the units in their housing developments to low-income families. Seniors or people with disabilities head two-thirds of PBRA-assisted households.

          Project-based rental assistance differs from tenant-based rental assistance, which low-income families can use to rent any private apartment that meets program guidelines. This does not include HUD houses for rent, as that is a misnomer. The main form of tenant-based rental assistance is the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program. Most housing authorities offer applicants the opportunity to apply for section 8 online when their waiting list is open and a Section 8 application able to be accepted again. Housing authorities often times have to keep their Section 8 waiting list closed due to overwhelming applicants and a shortage of housing vouchers. In other words, there is only so much funding available.

          The following information is usually required for each household: Name, Date of Birth, Mailing Address, Social Security Number and if available, Phone Number. Full applications will be mailed at a later date.

          As far as eligibility goes, housing assistance is available to US citizens, US nationals, or non-citizens that have eligible immigration status; mixed families will receive prorated assistance. You may enroll yourself and up to (2) two other households. All households must meet the income limits set by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Submitting false information on any government form is actually illegal. If someone is trying to apply for section 8, they must submit truthful information that will hold up to scrutiny.

          Common Questions
          Question 1: How can I get into HUD housing?

          Answer: HUD doesn’t actually own rental housing. They do provide funding to support several rental assistance programs. Read all about them in our “Renter’s Kit”.

          Question 2: I’m a senior citizen on a fixed income, how can HUD help me keep my home, find low-cost housing, or assisted living?

          Income limits for housing assistance programs are updated each year. The HOME program income limits are different from the limits for the other rental assistance programs.

          Question 3: How can I apply for Section 8?

          Answer: To apply for Section 8 or public housing, you will need to visit your local public housing authority. Many have long waiting lists, so you may want to apply at more than one public housing authority.

          Question 4: I have a Section 8 voucher, and I’m moving to another city. Can I take my voucher with me?

          Answer: Yes, that is possible. But you’ll need to contact both your current and your future public housing authority to work out the details.

          Question 5: Where can I find someone who will let me use my voucher to find HUD houses for rent or any place to live?

          Answer: Your public housing authority should have a list of landlords who are willing to take Housing Choice vouchers.

          Question 6: I’d like to rent my home to a Section 8 tenant. How can I do that?

          Answer: You’ll need to contact your local public housing agency to find out how to rent to Section 8 tenants in your area.